Monday, September 8, 2008

Year Zero - The Class of '96


Here is the download: Year Zero Discography

As requested, Jon Lukens sent me a video still, as he couldn't find an official glossy for the band, must have used them up on press kits for the Masquerade. When Cough Syrup and Astrosmash folded in late 1994, Ben Lukens started The hal al Shedad with Ed Rawls and eventually myself, and Jon Lukens started Year Zero with Matt Cicarelli (from Cough Syrup) and two guys named James Dunn (on guitar) and Brandon McDearis (on drums). Later, Matt Cicarelli was fired and/or moved to Cleveland for his studies and was replaced by Heather McIntosh, who I knew from my early college education at UGA. Jon wrote a little biography and descriptions of each member here, so it saves me the time of writing my own:

Depending on your temperment Year Zero could be a bit overwhelming to the listener, as Jon would sing/scream/blurt lyrics at you the entire song, and the guitar and drums would just plow through and assult you all the while, so that it was really the bass that seemed to provide the dynamics and changes within each song. Sometimes they were confusing, but sometimes they really connected and it was amazing. I recorded one of these shows, perhaps the best Year Zero show in my opinion, at the Godless Red Athens house here.

Their only official release was the split 7" with Wheeljack, but they self-released two demos during their time and played a lot of shows. They were part of the stable of Driverdome bands from the mid-90's including The Forty-Two and Wheeljack. I'm not sure if they ever officially toured, but I'm sure they played a few out of town shows from time to time. I do remember James the guitarist was really into guns, and had a permit to carry a concealed firearm, which he kept on him at all times. When hal came up to Athens to play a show once, we were supposed to go shooting with James, but it never worked out. I never really knew James or Brandon before or since, but I have played in many bands and projects with Jon Lukens over the years, and seen Matt Cicarelli from time to time as well. He is now an attorney for Dekalb County, so if you are around the Decatur courthouse during lunchtime you might see him. I see Heather from time to time as well, mainly when she is playing with the band Dark Meat from Athens, but she has been in so many bands since Year Zero, including Japancakes, Gnarles Barkley and even has a solo career. I also remember from the old days that she is a cellist and didn't own a regular electric bass, so she would borrow the Music Man stingray bass from the guy in the Maritans, and turn whatever bass amp she was using all the way and control her volume with the knob on the bass. Naturally she blew up a lot of bass amps during this time. There are a lot of other random anecdotes about this band, but I'll save them for the comments.

12 comments:

  1. James had a gun. He didn't carry it with him all of the time, that's an exaggeration. Yes, it was obviously rather out of the ordinary for someone to do that in our peer group, so I'm not saying it wasn't odd, just that it wasn't a constant thing.

    Heather owned her bass, but yes, she blew up some speakers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. didn't the guitarist play a flying v?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe James had a flying V, and played it occassionally, and probably at their last show at BLT's (check Youtube for that one). Normally he played a stratocaster.

    ReplyDelete
  4. unfortunately i didnt get to see too much of year zero. maybe a handful of shows. and only 1 or 2 cough syrups. athens back then was still a bit of a mystery and a land some of us rarely ventured into. unless it was to see circus lupus play the 40watt to like 10 people. that was awesome. or the occasional harvey milk show. other than that, athens was full of dirty fucking hippies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i remember us going to that CL show... the main thing i remember other than CL rocking out was seeing michael stipe in the bathroom of the 40 watt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha, yes! i do believe he actually spilled a drink on me as well. wasn't it you, jeff and i? good times. now i get the pleasure of seeing the shrivelled up "old man" michael stipe in pretty much every bathroom i go in...haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yeah, it was us three. who opened that night? all i remember is circus lupus' set...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Opening act was Daisy. I'm not sure who thought that was appropriate. I ended up having the drummer from Daisy as a student, but I forgot they opened for this show until I saw it in this thread.

    Also Seth from CL was really drunk and told some long stupid joke when Chris broke a string. Then after the show he was all like "I don't think Stipe liked my joke," and I was like "Who cares?"

    James switched to the flying V for maybe the last 6 months of our existence.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i also remember daisy opening up for fugazi a number of times in the early 90s. might be why they opened for circus lupus. might have just been on the dischord radar. who knows. it was a great show. i bought a tshirt that was entirely way too small for me. that coupled with pants that were far too large, i'm sure i looked quite stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i was going to buy a t-shirt, but my grandmother had lupus and i thought it would be a bummer if she ever saw me wearing it...

    ReplyDelete
  11. We did tour once; i just remember a lot of raw spaghetti O's. I did have a permit to carry a gun, but i didn't all the time. Yes I'm odd. Jon, if you happen upon this, email me at jamdun@ymail.com.

    ReplyDelete