Monday, March 23, 2009

Atlanta Show Lists: April 1996 - August 1997


Scott MC (Chapman Park, Portrait, etc.) recently sent me some archived show lists from when these things would be regularly printed and pasted on the walls of your local eating establishments, record stores, and what have you. There are some great shows on this list, some that I remember well, and some I don't remember at all or completely missed. Please send me your comments and other show lists you might have, as I plan to compile a database of these sometime down the road. I have included some of my own comments below as well.

April 13, 1996 - the hal al Shedad, the Forty-Two, Freemasonry, Barrel at BLT’s

April 23, 1996 – The hal al shedad, Wheeljack, Year Zero, Tenth Muted Capper, Legendary Thundermug at Emory ex-frathouse (benefit for Empty the Shelters)
James: This was the show that was videotaped by Phil Dwyer, and he used video stills from this show for the cover of our first album.

April 27, 1996 – Inkwell (last show), Order of Importance, Reversal of Man, The new ex-Prevail band (maybe) at The Driver Dome (compilation 7” release show)
James: Joe Myers has uploaded Inkwell footage from this show on Youtube.

May 17, 1996 – Damad, In/Humanity, Quadiliacha, The Forty-Two, Tank 18, Das Kriminal, Asshole Parade at BLT’s
James: I believe this was the last Mathis Hunter appearance on bass for Quadiliacha, but I could be wrong.

June 3, 1996 – Franklin, Ethyl Meserve, Huasipungo, The Year Zero at The I-Defy House

June 7, 1996 - Promise Ring, Hot Water Music, Fat Day, In/Humanity, The End of the Century Party at The Driver Dome
James: I believe this was Promise Ring's first Atlanta show, and what a lineup!
June 8, 1996 - Cease, Emnity, Necrolust, Outbreak at The I-Defy House

June 8, 1996 - Quadiliacha, The Forty-Two, The Martin Family at BLT’s

June 14, 1996 - Karate, The hal al Shedad at the Driver Dome
James: I have no recollection of this show - did it ever happen?

June 16, 1996 - Act of Faith (last show) at The Point (Matinee Show)

June 16, 1996 - Assuck, Man is the Bastard, Heretical Response, Social Infestation, Tank 18 at BLT’s
James: This was a great show, I left Atlanta from this show and drove to San Diego, and then Austin for the Olympics summer.

June 17, 1996 - Man Afraid, Republic of Freedom Fighters (ex-Breakwater), Life Among Ruin (first show) at The I-Defy House

June 22, 1996 - Some band that is ex-Native Nod (Van Pelt?) at The Driver Dome

June 26, 1996 - Ex-Ignota, One Way, Rainchild, Serotonin at The I-Defy House

June 30, 1996 – Ascension, Outbreak at The I-Defy House

July 4, 1996 - Still Life, Born & Razed, Water Monitor at The I-Defy House

July 8, 1996 - Rye Coalition at The I-Defy House

July 9, 1996 - Reversal of Man, Anasarca, Piebald, Pecola, Rinse, Palatka at The I-Defy House

July 12, 1996 – FYP, Mission to Murder at The I-Defy House

July 16, 1996 – Puritan, Outbreak at The I-Defy House

August 10, 1996 - Seeing Red, Torches to Rome, Palatka at The I-Defy House
James: I heard this show was amazing.

August 16, 1996 – Hourglass, New Day Rising at The I-Defy House

August 20, 1996 – SevenYearsWar, Grey Before My Eyes at The Driver Dome

December 13, 1996 - Hal al Shedad (album release), Autonomy vs Shame, Thin White Dukes at the Driver Dome
James: This was the release show for the first Hal album (white cover).

December 14, 1996 - Serotonin at the I-Defy House

December 20, 1996 - Govern, Asshole Parade, Heretical Response at the I-Defy House

December 21, 1996 - Fuckface, MFR, Ripchord, The Perpetual Psiamechy Theorem at the I-Defy House
James: Roswell hits the scene.

December 26, 1996 - Assuck, Hot Water Music, Reversal of Man, Rentamerica, Early Grace, Quadiliacha, Tres Kids, Portrait at the South West Community Cultural Center

December 27, 1996 - Ascension, Catharsis, Kilara at the Buford Civic Center

December 29, 1996 - Torn Apart, Faultline at the Godless Red

January 1, 1997 - Rye Coalition and hal al Shedad at The I-Defy House
James: We wrote a new song for this one. I remember Rye were already a 4-piece by this time, and they were touring under the Hesawduhkaet LP, but they still played some of their earlier stuff.

January 1, 1997 - Morning Again at the Buford Civic Center

January 4, 1997 - Roswell, Rinse at the I-Defy House

January 6, 1997 - 400 Years, Young Pioneers, Rainer Maria, Van Pelt, hal al Shedad at The Driver Dome

January 10, 1997 - Franklin, hal al Shedad at the I-Defy House (?)
James: I believe this was at the I-Defy, I seem to remember playing a show with Franklin at the I-Defy.

January 11, 1997 - Sarin, Charles Demar, Regicide at the I-Defy House

April 18, 1997 – Spanakorzo, Wheeljack, Sweep the Leg of Johnny, Bughummer at 485 Robinson

April 19, 1997 - Botch, Ink & Dagger, NineIronSpitfire, 1134, Catharsis, Downpour at Buford Civic Center

April 21, 1997 - Rocket Fuel is the Key, Aslund at 485 Robinson

April 25, 1997 - The Hal al Shedad, Quadiliacha, Chapman Park at The Driver Dome (Last Driver Dome Show)

April 26, 1997 - Reversal of Man, Andromeda, Versailles, Portrait at Under The Couch

June 14, 1997 - Ire, Calabash Case, Quixote, Kossabone Red at the I-Defy House

June 15, 1997 - Spazz, His Hero is Gone, Damad, Social Infestation at C-11 Warehouse

June 16, 1997 - Serotonin, Piebald, Jesuit, Chapman Park at Under The Couch

June 17, 1997 - The Adversives, Cause at Frijoleros

June 20, 1997 - I Hate Myself, Nausicca, !!! at The I-Defy House
James: I believe this is the first !!! show in Atlanta.

June 23, 1997 - Rye Coalition, Aslund Constant, Chapman Park at 485 Robinson

June 24, 1997 - Coalesce, Cycle at Godless Red #2 (abandoned side of Godless Red House)

June 25, 1997 – Makara (members of jenny piccolo), ShahRazad, Wallside, Thoughts of Ionesco, Portrait at The I-Defy House

June 26, 1997 - Process is Dead, Chikara at The I-Defy House

June 27, 1997 - Bug Hummer (venue not known)

June 28, 1997 - Chalkline, Light, One Way at Buford Civic Center

June 29, 1997 - Hurl, Galanas::Cerdd at 7 Stages (?)
James: I have video of Galanas from this show. After their set, we went to Dottie's and saw the Monorchid play.

June 29, 1997 - Snapcase, Morning Again, Ex-Members Of, Bird of Ill Omen at Buford Civic Center

June 30, 1997 - Cave-In at The I-Defy House

July 3, 1997 - El Dopa, Rash of Beatings, Burned Up-Bled Dry, Heretical Response at The I-Defy House

July 4, 1997 - Asshole Parade, Suppression, Wheeljack, The Jackson X, Plague, Idi Amin at The I-Defy House
James: Jackson X was a goof hardcore/metal band by the Hal guys, but I wasn't involved with this one.

July 5, 1997 - Despair, Hatebreed, Spawn, Disbelief at Buford Civic Center

July 6, 1997 - Early Grace, Portrait at The I-Defy House

July 8, 1997 - Downpour, Handful of Dust, MFR at Buford Civic Center

July 9, 1997 - Land of the Wee Beasties, Chapman Park, Kossabone Red at The I-Defy House

July 10, 1997 - Braid, Joan of Arc, hal al Shedad, Euphone at Under The Couch
James: The hal and Euphone sets are posted here.

July 11, 1997 - Agothocles, Necrolust, Hot Water Music (Venue Unknown)

July 11, 1997 - Hail Mary (Venue Unknown)

July 12, 1997 - Ink & Dagger, Metroschifter, the Perpetual Sciamachy Theorem,the Michal Douglas at Sprockets (?)
James: Was this the infamous Ink & Dagger Sprockets show?

July 15, 1997 - Harvest at Buford Civic Center

July 17, 1997 - Indecision, Silent Majority at The Godless Red #2

July 21, 1997 - Brother's Keeper, Downpour, Day of Suffering, Heretical Response (Venue Unknown)

July 21, 1997 - The Party of Helicopters, Armstrong Secret 9 at Under the Couch (?)
James: I think Hal played this one as well. I remember playing with POH at UTC.

July 25, 1997 - Cole (ex Glendale) (Venue Unknown)

July 25, 1997 – Joyce (ex Inkwell, Car vs. Driver), V-Reverse (ex 8 Bark) at Frijoleros
James: Frijoleros was a weird place to see a show at this time. I also remember seeing Impossible Five (pre-Dead Meadow) around this time here.

July 28, 1997 - Sleepytime Trio, Drift, BugHummer, Chapman Park at The I-Defy House

July 29, 1997 - Pink Collar Jobs, Rustweiler, Busy Backson at The I-Defy House

July 30, 1997 - Battery, Ten Yard Fight, Eyelid at The Buford Civic Center

August 4, 1997 - Prevail (Venue Unknown)

August 5, 1997 - The Sorts, Mark Sullivan (ex-Kingface) and Joyce at Under the Couch

August 11, 1997 - Lustre King, The 90 Day Men, hal al Shedad at The I-Defy House

August 13, 1997 - Sum of All Fears, Drowning Room at Buford Civic Center

August 17, 1997 - Stretch Armstrong at Buford Civic Center

August 18, 1997 - Assuck, Dragbody at C-11 Warehouse

August 21, 1997 - Logical Nonsense, Damad, 4 Hour Fogger at C-11 Warehouse


Legend:
(Just in case you wanted to remember where these places were)

I DEFY house: take 75/85 to the 10th St. exit. Go west on 10th St. for 3/4 of a mile and turn right on to Center St. the house is a few blocks down at 1055 Center St. call (404)875-2271 for more info.

Godless Red #2: (this is in the abandoned side of the godless red) take 75/85 to 10th st. exit. go west on 10th. turn right at the Papa John's onto State St. go left on Calhoun St. the godless red is a few blocks up on the left.404 892 0757 for more info

Buford Civic Center: from atlanta take 85 N to 985 N. Get off at exit 1 and turn left on Buford Dr. Then turn right on Buford Hwy. Then turn left on Hill Rd (at citgo). Then turn left into the parking lot.

485 Robinson: take 75/85 to I 20 east and get off at the Boulevard/Zoo Atlanta exit. Turn right on to Boulevard. Drive past the park and turn right on Robinson. The house is about a quarter mile down on the left at 485 Robinson.

Under the Couch on the GA Tech campus: take 75/85 to 14th street exit. go west on 14th street for a little over a mile and turn left on Hemphill. Follow Hemphill until it dead ends and turn right on Ferst. Take the next right onto 6th St. 6th dead ends, turn right. make the next left and UTC will be on your left. drive around the block and park in the parking deck if you like

C-11 warehouse: from 75/85 take I-20 West to the Lee St. exit. At the light take a left on Lee St and follow it and then take a left onto Ralph David Abernathy. Make a right onto Murphy or Murray St (it is the 2nd light). Make a left into the first warehouse complex. It is in the C-11 warehouse.

Frijolero's: take 75/85 to the 10th/14th st. exit. Go down to 10th St and go East on 10th. Go through a few lights and turn left on Peachtree. Frijolero's will be on your immediate right so go to the next street, turn right, and park in the back.

Driver Dome: take 75/85 to I-20 east and get off at the Boulevard/Zoo Atlanta exit. Turn right on to Boulevard. At the next light turn left on to Berne. Turn right on to Vernon, and then left on to Mercer. The house is on the left. Call (404) MARS-127 for info.

21 comments:

  1. we should get joyce back together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought Gray's, Brad's, and Crystal's house in Athens was called The Godless Red 2. Gray, correct me here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would be the Godless Red Athens (we franchised), which was on Willow Street, then moved with me (I owned the rights to the name) to East Campus Road on my return from a summer in Santa Barbara.

    There were some great shows at those houses.

    What strikes me about this show listed above is the wanton disregard for genre or compatibility of bands. Assuck with Hot Water Music?! Damad and the Fory Two?! I guess with those marathon fucking bills you had a chance to dip out and get some fresh air during the band(s) you didn't like...or if Kelly farted during their set.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Godless Red Athens. Of course.

    ReplyDelete
  5. looking at this list, i can now confirm my last show with the Q as taking place on June 8th 1996 at BLT's and not the earlier mentioned may date.

    ReplyDelete
  6. James - here are a bunch of shows I have from my 96-97 calendars.

    -Scott


    1996:

    1/4 - Franklin @ driverdome
    1/5 - Action Patrol, Hal al Shedad @ driverdome
    1/7 - Promise Ring, the 42 @ driverdome
    1/8 - Inquisition, Harriet the Spy, Hell Mach 4, Batch of Gimps @ GImp house?
    1/13 - Calabash Case, Yaer Zero, Tenth Muted Capper @ I Defy House

    2/28 - Chokehold, Inkwell, Scout (last show), Thenceforrward @ ???

    3/1 - Act Of Faith, Dogpound @ I Defy House
    3/2 - Griver, Year Zero, Pink Collar Jobs @ driverdome
    3/9 - Grade, Fragment, Regicide @ I Defy
    3/14 - Braid, Castor, Hal al Shedad @ driverdome
    3/15 - Shake Ray Turbine, Class of 84, Poison Pill Culture @ driverdome
    3/20 - Blank, Freemasonry, the 42 @ I Defy

    5/20 - Dahlia Seed, Hal al Shedad, Barrel @ driverdome
    5/31 - the Crownhate Ruin, the 42, Barrel @ BLT's

    8/11 - Quadiliacha, Hot Water Music, Walleye @ I Defy

    11/9 - Bluetip, Kerosene 454, Boy's Life @ driverdome
    11/12 - Karp, Hal al Shedad @ ??? (james knows though I'm sure)

    12/20 - I have listed that Serotonin also played that show at I Defy?

    1997:

    1/1 - I have that 12 Tone System also played at I Defy
    1/2 - Frodus, Impossible 5, Perpetual Psiamechy Theorem @ 485 Robinson
    1/17 - Haberdasher, Galanas Cerdd, Erv Lockett @ 485 Robinson
    1/18 - Assuck, Social Infestation, Heretical Response @ driverdome
    1/27 - Promise Ring, Texas Is The Reason, Serotonin, Ripcord @ ?? (I have SCCC written down but doesn't ring a bell)

    2/1 - V. Reverse, Salvo Rain, Pagan Holiday, Wheeljack @ driverdome
    2/5 - Regulator Watts, Karate @ 485 Robinson
    2/15 - Ex-Members Of, Quadiliacha, One Way, Catharsis @ driverdome
    2/24 - Sensefield, Mineral, Jimmy Eat World @ 485 Robinson
    2/28 - Jihad, Frodus, Aslund @ 485 Robinson

    3/7 - Estrada, Galanas Cerdd, Aslnd, Perpetual Psiamechy Theorem @ 485 Robinson
    3/8 - Quadiliacha, Lewistown, Palatka, Pung @ driverdome
    3/14 - Karenza, Portrait, Triple Crown, Nausica @ driverdome
    3/15 - Clairmel, Panthro UK United 13, Regicide @ driverdome
    3/27 - Party of Helicopters, Land Speed Record, Perpetual Psiamechy Theorem, Kossabone Red @ I Defy
    3/28 - Norman Mayer Group, ERv Locket, the Mike Douglas @ 485 Robinson
    3/29 - Damad, Omega Man, Shroud of Turin, Heretical Response @ ???

    4/4 - Trans Megetti, The Great Unraveling, Thumbnail, Chapman Park @ 485 Robinson
    4/10 - Ignite, Necrolust @ Buford Civic Center
    4/11 - Prevail @ Under the Couch
    4/15 - Blank @ 485 Robinson
    4/25 - Ex members Of and Ostinato Grove (1st show) also played driverdome

    5/1 - Behead the Prophet No Lord Shall Live, Pagan Holiday, Social Infestation @ I Defy
    5/3 - Wheeljack, Pagan Holiday, Priscilla (spoken word), Ostinato Grove, Necrolust @ I Defy
    5/7 - Chisel, Karate @ 485 Robinson
    5/14 - Deadwood Divine, Erv Locket, Susan + Stacy @ I Defy
    5/16 - Hal al Shedad, VSS, Purkinje Shift @ some Uhaul complex ( I think this was a WRAS show)
    5/28 - Intro to Airlift, Pinhole Broadcast, Ostinato Grove @ 485 Robinson
    5/31 - Quadiliacha, Tres Kids @ Under the Couch

    6/1 - Van Pelt, Hal al Shedad, Ostinato Grove @ 485 Robinson
    6/7 - Galanas Cerdd, Purkinje Shift, Ed Matus' Struggle @ Frijoleros
    6/8 - Cerberus Shoal, Ethel Meserve, Wheeljack, the Mike Douglas @ 485 Robinson
    6/20 - Aspera Ad Astra aso played the I Defy show
    6/30 - One Way, Strike Three also played the Cave-in show

    7/11 - Hot Water Music show was at Frijoleros
    7/13 - June of 44, Dianogah @ 485 Robinson
    7/17 - Impossible 5, Ostinato @ Frijoleros

    8/18 - the Make-Up, Warmers, Savage Boys & Girls Club @ Under the Couch
    8/22 - Midcarson July, Hacksaw, Autumn, Chapman Park @ I Defy

    9/1 - Hot Water Music, Ann Beretta, Hankshaw, Quadiliacha, Tres Kids @ ???
    9/10 - the Pee Chees, Young Pioneers @ Under The Couch
    9/11 - Remington, Chapman Park, Kaia @ Under the Couch
    9/14 - Mineral, Get Up Kids, Jejune, Kossabone Red @ Under the Couch
    9/15 - T Tauri @ Under the Couch
    9/24 - Kill Sadie, Chapman Park, Ex-Members of @ Under the Couch

    10/12 - Van Pelt, Ostinato, Gaijin @ Under the Couch
    10/17 - Franklin @ under the Couch
    10/18 - Promise Ring, Car Vs. Driver, Compound Red @ Under the Couch
    10/30 - Shipping News @ Under the Couch

    11/14 - Ink & Dagger, Ostinato, Dawn of Orion, Perpetual Psiamechy Theorem @ Under the Couch

    ReplyDelete
  7. "2/28 - Chokehold, Inkwell, Scout (last show), Thenceforrward @ ???"

    This was at BLT's, I believe.

    "1/27 - Promise Ring, Texas Is The Reason, Serotonin, Ripcord @ ?? (I have SCCC written down but doesn't ring a bell)"

    SCCC is correct. I have some disposable camera pics from this show.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just a little more info on this list - I dug these up from old archives, so the info there is "as was", meaning some if it may be incorrect because it was announcing shows that had not yet occurred. Sometimes shows got canceled, bands would cancel, shows would move, etc. Also, I sent James 2-3 lists like this, some overlapping. He did all the work of coalescing it into one.

    -scottmc

    ReplyDelete
  9. June 7, 1996 - Promise Ring, Hot Water Music, Fat Day, In/Humanity, The End of the Century Party at The Driver Dome
    James: I believe this was Promise Ring's first Atlanta show, and what a lineup!

    Not sure about this. I remember seeing Promising Ring during an icy weeknight in December at the Driver Dome in front of about 10 people. I assume it was December 1995 because they were going strong by January 1997 when they played with Texas Is The Reason at the SWCCC.

    June 17, 1996 - Man Afraid, Republic of Freedom Fighters (ex-Breakwater), Life Among Ruin (first show) at The I-Defy House

    Life Among Ruin was the band Scott Wilson and I were in before Chapman Park. I am REALLY glad we don't have any recordings of that.

    June 20, 1997 - I Hate Myself, Nausicca, !!! at The I-Defy House
    James: I believe this is the first !!! show in Atlanta.

    Yes, amazing how big this band is now. Another huge band that played the I DEFY that is not on this list is Converge.

    July 4, 1997 - Asshole Parade, Suppression, Wheeljack, The Jackson X, Plague, Idi Amin at The I-Defy House
    James: Jackson X was a goof hardcore/metal band by the Hal guys, but I wasn't involved with this one.

    I remember being a part of Jackson X with Ben and Ed. I was on vox and I forget who was on drums. I think Ben and Ed had 2 full stacks each, so 4 full stacks. Just total noise - a joke band. It was pronounced "Jackson Ten".

    August 4, 1997 - Prevail (Venue Unknown)

    I am pretty sure this was at UTC and I think I have a recording of it somewhere. I recorded a ton of bands at UTC that Summer of 1997.

    -scottmc

    ReplyDelete
  10. One more comment on the photo to this post - I remember James showing this to me at the Driver Dome way back when. Didn't you dad take this photo? I thought it was so cool back then and still do today. Glad I can now steal it.

    -scottmc

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1. That wasn't the Ink and Dagger Sprockets show. That one didn't happen until late 98 or early 99.

    2. Sleepytime Trio didn't show for that I-Defy show.

    3. That was the first !!! show in Atlanta. Everyone was just standing watching until some strange guy with an afro came in and started dancing. I asked MC about him and he said he'd never seen him before and didn't know who he was.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sunna, that VSS show was at the UHaul complex where 14th dead ends into Howell Mill. It's no longer warehouses and has been converted into some upscale shopping/commercial space.

    The June of 44 show with Dionagah was pretty epic. It was supposed to be a matinee at the Point but the venue cancelled it because they arrived too late that afternoon so someone redirected it to 485 Robinson. It must have been 120 degrees in that basement.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was going to comment re: comments. ident: Godless Red 2 has been corrected. Comments re: shows are recursively hosting comments re: shows. Was necrolust T.Barnwells band?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have pics from the 14th St. Uhaul VSS show where the guitar player's hand is just covered in blood and there's blood all over his guitar. If I remember correctly, I think the cops showed up to shut that show down. That was my first time seeing the Purkinje Shift and I was a smitten kitten.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That VSS show was insane - you can't go wrong with that light show. The cops did shut the show down, which was unfortunate as this was the only time the VSS played in Atlanta. Who at a U-Haul warehouse calls the police for a noise complaint?

    That Star Wars picture was found at the movie theater I used to work at. I tried to find out where this theater in the picture was located, but no luck. Scott MC scanned it for a flyer, which is posted on the refrigerator at The Living Room studio. I take a look at it whenever I go into the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  16. ·I remember seeing Prevail in Ezra's parents garage. I would think that would have been 97.

    ·Sleepytime Trio not showing up for that show is one of my saddest memories from the 90s. I did enjoy Drift alot though but have been unable in the last few years to find any of their recordings... anybody have some?

    ·I was just telling the story of that June of 44/Dianogah show yesterday... so amazing.

    ·I didn't get my driver's license until 1997... i can't believe how many amazing shows i missed in 96 because of that.

    ·Wasn't that Cave In's first Atlanta show... i remember that show being pretty amazing. Wasn't that when Ten Yard Fight dude was singing for them?

    ·I would later be in a band when i went to college in NC with Jason from the Pink Collar Jobs called Candy Ass Pansy Bitches. We played Atlanta in early 2001 but i can't seem to remember where.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jordan, yes, that was Cave-In's first show in at Atlanta and yes, after that tour the original signer quit Cave-In to join Ten Yard Fight. I think the guys in Cave-In were about 16 or 17 tops at the time.

    -scottmc

    ReplyDelete
  18. James, that Karate show at the Driver Dome did 100% absolutely happen. It was my first time there which is most of the reason I remember it. Karate played the night previous in Athens....

    ReplyDelete
  19. The Converge show at I Defy was just about the most absurdly crazy show I've ever been to. I felt like that room was so packed there were 2 layers of people.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glad to have found this. I went to one of my brother's shows at the Driver Dome somewhere in the mid-90s (he was in The Difference and later Act Of Faith) and got there by following somebody both in and out.

    Then in 2001 my wife and I moved to East Atlanta and I always knew that the house was close by, but never remembered exactly where. Now I know!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Watching the Freaknic movie and googled when Ink and Dagger played at the buford civic center and this came up. James, you're a God among men. Thanks for the flood of memories

    ReplyDelete