Friday, July 18, 2008

Driverdome Flyers From A Bygone Era (i.e. 1995)


November 12, 1994 - Inkwell with Deterrent and Deus Ex - Technically this was not from 1995, but it was one of the first shows we had at the Driverdome, and I don't remember much except that both Deterrent and Deus Ex used drum machines, and we did not have the kind of PA to handle that, so both bands were pretty weak. Of course Inkwell did the job that was needed to be done.


January 8, 1995 - Policy of 3 with Thumbnail, Scout and Thenceforward - This was a great show. I love that we screwed up and put Fence Forward on the flyer, blame Scott Wishart as I'm sure he designed the flyer. I will still refer to them as Fence Forward instead of their real name. I was also a big fan of Thumbnail, and thought they never became as popular as they could have been. Policy of 3 were awesome that night, as it was right around when their last 7" came out, and I believe they broke up a few months later.


March 2, 1995 - Griver with Year Zero and the Pink-Collared Jobs - Griver was a fun band to have play, and we were friends with Charlie in the band so we had a soft spot for them. Year Zero of course was Jon Lukens' band after Cough Syrup and Astrosmash but before Retconned. Year Zero was my favorite Jon Lukens "band", i.e. pre-electronics. I will post more on them later. I don't remember anything about the Pink-Collared Jobs, but maybe someone will enlighten us. It is interesting to note that the shows only cost 2 or 3 dollars. Our theory was to keep the cost so low that people felt like they could come and hang out and take a chance on whatever band that was playing that night, and for the most part I think it worked. We always had a pretty decent crowd (except for the Sunbrain show below), and people seemed to have a good time and never complained about the cover charge. Normally we would only be able to pay a band about 50 dollars, but we didn't keep any of the money for ourselves and it was possible back then to make as little as 20 dollars a show and still break even after tour. This system works much better to me than passing the hat around, as I think that practice is essentially disrespectful to the bands playing and never produces more than a few dollars. We wanted the Driverdome to put on shows, and passing the hat gives the impression that we are having a party with bands playing. These were not parties, they were shows with touring bands - some of which would become extremely influential, and at the time Atlanta clubs were not providing any support. These house shows definitely filled a gap during this time.


This was another flyer for the same show as above.


April 1, 1995 - Lowboy with No Matter and White Trash Superman - This might have been Lowboy's last show before Craig and Brian went on to form The 42 with Francis. I remember No Matter being very good, but I have no memory of White Trash Superman.


April 13, 1995 - Slant 6 with Jonathan Fire Eater and Year Zero - This was probably one of the top 5 shows the Driverdome ever put on, mainly because of Jonathan Fire Eater. At this time, they only had a demo out, and when I saw their name on the show list, I was very skeptical. However, if you know who they were, you can imagine what an amazing show this turned out to be. These guys were unbelievable - you can see some footage of them here. It was the birthday of the bassplayer from Slant 6, and we made a banner for them from an old church revival banner I had, and then after the show they took it with them! That banner was part of the Driverdome decor, it wasn't a gift.


April 17, 1995 - Inkwell with Bloodlet and Thenceforward - As you can imagine, this was a good show. Mark had joined Inkwell by this time and they were becoming the powerhouse that you know and love them as. I remember joining The hal al Shedad at this time, and Phil making these flyers and hanging them up at our shared practice space (Black Box). Of course the degenerates that hang out there drew penises, etc. all over the flyers, and Inkwell was pissed.


May 23, 1995 - Sunbrain with Barrel and Drip - I will still apologize to Barrel for this one, as it was probably the most sparsely attended Driverdome show ever. I really felt bad, as I thought Barrel was awesome, and David Dondero was in Sunbrain, who I have been a big fan of since he started doing his solo stuff. Maybe it was because it was on a Tuesday, I can't remember why we were doing the show on a Tuesday, but either way there was nobody there and I somehow feel responsible.


June 23, 1995 - Carbomb with The Trigger Quintet, Impetus Inter and Butch - Four out of town bands on this bill, no room for locals. It was an amazing show. Every band was awesome, every band was nice, lots of people were there. I used Tron imagery on the flyer. Still only 3 dollars, and we were able to pay every band well (at least for those times).


June 25, 1995 - Eagle Bravo with Hellbender and Peepsow - Eagle Bravo was a good band from the Carolinas, and I remember supposedly the drummer's dad was also a drummer back in the day and played on "Chapel of Love" by the Dixie Cups, which was produced by Phil Spector. Supposedly the drumset that the guy was playing in Eagle Bravo was the drumset that played on that song. I was in awe, of course. Eagle Bravo did a full-length album, but I never got it and have been wanting to get a copy ever since. If anyone knows where I could find it, I would be interested. Hellbender was Al Burian's band before Milemarker, and I remember them being very good as well. They had these boxes on top of their amps that lit up and looked fancy, but I believe had no real purpose. I can't remember anything about Peepshow from New Jersey, but there were a lot of random bands touring around and playing house shows back then.

18 comments:

  1. i guess there wasn't a flyer for the make-up show, but it is worth mentioning as a legendary driver dome moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is, but it is with the hal al Shedad flyer collection. I will post these soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the dude from gridsector may still have eagle bravo lps. he still had a surprising amount of stuff left over from those days. http://www.myspace.com/gridsector

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.thesoundofindie.com/

    post of car vs driver show from 97

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Squidchip - I'm glad he was able to post Without A Day, as my recording cuts off before that song. There was too much wasted time between songs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. jesus h christ.. wheres the phoopher flyers!!!

    i think between quadiliacha, thenceforward etc... sandy springs boys played that house 100 times.. you need to represent, mutha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Will - send me the flyers and I'll post them! These were just all the flyers I had that weren't related to hal al Shedad, which I will post soon. I wish I kept copies of all flyers made for Driverdome shows, but unfortunately I didn't. Joe Myers says he has a bunch, but we haven't been able to get together and make the transfer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. re: pink collar jobs, 3/2/1995 show: i believe i asked you guys (or whomever booked the show) to add them, they were friends of mine from boone. mostly gurl, very cute pop-punk band from nc. those kids are still hanging out in nc, most of them in asheville and most of them bikepunks. anyway, consider yourself enlightened.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now I remember them, vaguely. We were trying to name some classic all-female bands in Atlanta, and the list was actually pretty small. It seemed like there were more back in this era. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. the problem was that there were no lady drummers. not like you didn't have enough going on, but mebbe you could've just dressed like a gurl? heh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We wanted the Driverdome to put on shows, and passing the hat gives the impression that we are having a party with bands playing. These were not parties, they were shows with touring bands

    This is EXACTLY what I tried to do with the Ultramod Comound, too. Athens has such a history of bands + parties and in a town with so many home-grown bands many folks can't easily make the distinction between a touring band and a band playing for their friends.
    I hate 'passing the hat'. It rarely works.

    ReplyDelete
  12. From the band's perspective, you really get a lower opinion of the town that does this - like they care more about the local block party and the keg than the band that might have driven 12 hours, or come from another country, to play for them. I had this happen in Athens a few times, but also in San Diego, Austin, Savannah, etc. Mainly college towns. I totally respect your efforts in turning this around in Athens, but I think you were really working against the tide on that one. I can understand for entirely local shows having this kind of policy, but once again, for out of town bands, it's just disrespectful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Bloodlet/Inkwell/Thenceforward show was great... until Bloodlet played. Angelos was sick and couldn't sing, so they played an instrumental set. By the end, there were only about four people inside, not counting the band. All I remember is that Ken Saluzzi and myself were two of the four left standing.

    I understand why so many people left, but I still remember that set as one of the best performances I've seen a band give (ESPECIALLY given the circumstances), probably because the drummer was so good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. that slant 6/johnathan fire eater flyer is how i met ben lukins, he was hanging it at black box, and i was getting out of practice with pagan holiday and we started talking because i loved loved loved slant 6. then we went to eats and the rest is history.... we were in high school! god.

    in other anecdotal info- from the slant 6 show... didn't marge (the drummer) break a tooth at the driver dome?
    and didn't they walk around in their nighties afterwards?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't remember Marge breaking a tooth, and I don't remember them walking around in their nighties, but I do remember working on the banner out in the backyard and one of the girls was taking a shower in the bathroom facing the backyard and there were no blinds on the window so it was full Dischord T&A, although we were modest so I didn't really take advantage.

    I remember Marge being insanely knowledgeable about car mechanics (hence the Slant 6 band name), and the guys in Jonathan Fire Eater sleeping in the backyard in their suits, as they were getting pretty sauced every night.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know I'm way late on this, but Vinyl Junkie Distro has a copy of Eagle Bravo's 12". Great record. http://www.vinyljunkiedistro.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks JoJoFace - I will have to pick that up as soon as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  18. JB(the drummer for eagle bravo) is my cousin and i can confirm the information about his dad and the drums. I found this blog because I too, am looking for rights reserved and eagle bravo records. Im actually going to pick up the eagle bravo lp from JB at his bar(bowbarr) in Carrboro on friday.

    ReplyDelete