Monday, June 1, 2009

The Martians Live Recordings


Here is the folder containing the shows: The Martians Live Recordings

Of course you can find the studio discography here.

Here are the individual shows themselves, provided by Henry Owings along with Henry's comments in quotes:

February 25, 1994 at the Shoebox in Athens
"The February 94 show might be the last show with Jerry. It was at least the last show with him in Athens. I went to their shows religiously at that time although I only recorded about every other show I went to of theirs."

July 15, 1994 at the Atomic Music Hall in Athens
James' comment: I believe this the show where they were billed as Polyestrogen mentioned by Henry, as it was in Athens right before the Rodan show at the 40 Watt, which was the first time I saw them with Kyle on drums.

July 28, 1994 at the 40 Watt Club in Athens - Part 1
July 28, 1994 at the 40 Watt Club in Athens - Part 2
This was the show opening for Rodan, the day after Fiddlehead opened for them at the Midtown Music Hall in Atlanta, which was Fiddlehead's last show.

September 3, 1994 at the 40 Watt Club, Athens
"40 Watt Sep94 was opening for The Jesus Lizard and GVSB. I think they got the double single that I helped put out in time for the gig."

October 29, 1994 at the 40 Watt Club, Athens
"40 Watt Oct94 show was opening for the Cows I believe........"

January 3, 1995 at the Midtown Music Hall
"The Midtown MH show.........opening for Hammerhead and Shiner I believe." For those that were not around at the time, the Midtown Music Hall was in the place where the second room is now located in the Highlander at the Midtown Promenade shopping center. That room seems pretty small these days considering the great shows that took place there.

January 13, 1995 at the Empty Bottle in Chicago
"Chicago 95 shows were while they were recording their Allied album with Albini. I think they were banking on the fact that Touch & Go would see them perform as I think (or rather might recollect) that one of these shows was with Mule. Both recorded by Dave Bychowski from Neutrino."

January 18, 1995 at Lounge Ax in Chicago
See above

January 20, 1995 at Dottie's
"Dotties show was with Harvey Milk. This was back when the stage was later where the pool tables were. Kyle stared at me their entire set. Horrible sound. You can hear it on the tape."

April 8, 1995 at Atomic Music Hall
"The April 95 show I remember being when they were trying out the "slow" Martians. Opening for Guzzard."

Here are some flyers, also provided by Henry:

Henry's comment on this show "Note the show where they opened for Gastr. Even though they were about as far musically away as Tony Conrad and Gastr, they really wanted to open up for the guy from Squirrel Bait and Bastro. Went over like a lead balloon."

To be filed in the "way more music on one band than you would ever need" , but thanks to Henry for all the recordings, flyers, notes, etc., it makes my job easy.

4 comments:

  1. I can't wait to hear some of this. I attended most of those Athens shows...too bad not many outside that little island ever got to hear this band.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw that show with Gastr Del Sol and Tony Conrad at the Atomic. It was a great show, and I don't remember a bad response to the Martians. It was a great show, but I must say that I didn't think Grubbs was the strongest performer on stage that night. I know that hurts for all the Squirrel Bait fans, but c'est la vie. Tony Conrad melted brains.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AH! Brilliant.

    I can't wait to hear these. I seem to remember being at the January '95 Midtown Music Hall gig.
    I think it was not too long after then that MMH closed down/changed ownership.

    Many, many thanks to Henry and James for providing these!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the interest, Charles. They were certainly a great band.

    ReplyDelete