Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Divine Phantom and The Love God Murder - Live at the EARL January 31, 2002


Here is the download: The Divine Phantom and The Love God Murder

Here is a show I recorded at the EARL on my then new mini-disc player back in January 2002. The Divine Phantom was the solo project of Craig Lee Dempsey (The Forty-Two, Aslund Constant, Lowboy, Good Friday Experiment, At the Price of the Union, Thoroughbred, etc.), which was his take on the solo Americana stuff years before it became the cool thing to do. Spooky stuff, I wish he kept at it.

The Love God Murder was the original name for Joseph Plunkett’s band, The Weight. This incarnation featured Marlow Sanchez (All Night Drug Prowling Wolves, Rent Boys, Swing Riot, etc.) on bass guitar, Susan Rose from Portrait on violin, Craig Dempsey on lead guitar, and I can’t remember who was on drums. Many people have played in Joseph Plunkett’s band over the years, including even Kenn Two Four if you can believe it. Soon after this, Joseph changed band names to The Weight, moved to Athens for awhile, and then relocated to Brooklyn and has enjoyed great success with his team up there. In the past few months, he came back to Atlanta to record a new album at the Living Room Studio with Ed Rawls and Justin McNeight at the controls, and got married. Congratulations Joseph, hope you enjoy this old recording I dug up.

6 comments:

  1. Kelsey may have been the drummer on this. Gentleman Jesse was the original Love God Murder drummer. This band brought together some people that wouldn't have normally played together playing music they wouldn't normally play and it was really fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jameson Proctor is in the current incarnation of The Weight, playing the organ I think. He grew up in the same town as me (though I didn't know him then; he's a few years older than me), and spent some time in Athens in the mid 90s. His brother, Zach, was a great friend of mine and in a garage punk band with me called The Drummonds. Sadly, Zach passed away in 2003. But I digress...

    Jameson is a good dude, and I'm glad he's seeing some success in The Weight after a whole bunch of false starts with other bands over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, that's me. This may have been the first show this particular lineup played, and I think we were opening for Elf Power. Where do you dig this stuff up, James?
    -Kelsey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kelsey - that makes sense. I guess I didn't know you back then and didn't make the connection, but was this where you connected with Marlow to later appear in ANDPW? And don't underestimate the archive - I am a curator of this stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah. I didn't know Marlow personally until I joined the DP/LGM, but we hit it off really well.

    Keep up the good work, James! I check this blog every few days, and I am consistently impressed.

    -Kelsey

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey, i've been visiting your blog for a while now and i just wanted to say how much i aprecciated, really. i've learned and listened a lot. you're doing a fucking incredible service to good music.

    congrats from Brasil!

    ReplyDelete